This is definitely in my top 5 favourite things to eat! I had to share this with you, you are going to absolutely LOVE this recipe!!! If you are looking for something different or some true comfort food for these chilly fall evenings this is the golden ticket!! My husband can vouch for this and this is definitely one of his favourites as well!!
I was first introduced to this at a work pot luck we had a number of years ago and I fell in love! Let me be honest… I didn’t even know that there was such a thing, Enchiladas with White Sauce?! I love enchiladas with the typical red sauce but white – WHAT? Maybe I had been living under a rock until this point in my life when I realized these existed.
This is a very fulfilling meal all in one, when I make this the odd time I will add some chips and salsa on the side, but most often we just eat this as they are very heavy and fill you up with out the need of any sides.
This is such a simple dish to make, if you have kids get them involved they can definitely be an assistant with this one!
First you want to start with large original soft tortilla shells. If you have a large family, this recipe can be doubled (you will just need 2 – 9×13 inch baking dishes)
You will then need 2 chicken breasts, cooked with light seasoning, then shredded apart into small pieces mixing about 1 cup of the cheese in with the chicken. If you can get a rotisserie chicken from grocery store, you can use that as well, if you are in a hurry. You will then take your tortilla shells and fill with equal amounts of chicken. Then roll tightly and place in a lightly buttered 9×13 inch baking dish. Set them aside. This is great to get your kids involved in the kitchen, they can fill and roll while you prep the delicious sauce and if they don’t do perfect that is okay too!
For the sauce you will start by getting a large heavy bottom pan, melting your butter. Then you will take some flour and mix with the butter making a rue. Cook for 1-2 minutes to rid the flour taste, then you want to remove from the stove and add in chicken broth. Mix well until combined place back on heat. It will start to bubble and come a small boil, and will thicken as this is happening, be sure to whisk so it does not burn. Once sauce has thickened removed from heat and allow it to cool.
Once cooled, whisk in sour cream until it is combined and has a smooth consistency. If you are adding chilies this is the time to add them. You can also, add green onion sliced or cilantro at this point if you like. I definitely go with all 3 if I have all on hand – gives an amazing flavour!
You will then pour the sauce over the prepared rolled tortillas, then add the remainder of the cheese. If you like it a bit more spicy you can sprinkle some sliced chilies mixed in with the cheese.
Tips for Success
- Allow mixture to cool before adding the sour cream is important, cold sour cream with hot liquid will definitely cause it to turn crudely, and we definitely to not want that! Cool at least 5-8 minutes!!
- Butter – use only unsalted butter
- Chicken Broth – try and use a low sodium chicken broth as regular is pretty salty
- Be sure to use a good quality chicken broth as that is where the majority of the flavour comes from
- Sour Cream – use a heavy fat no a low fat %
- Cheese – I love white cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese in this dish – if you do not have both I strongly recommend using Monterey Jack as it is packed with flavour!
This will bake in a 350*F oven on the bottom rack uncovered or about 30-33 minutes. You are wanting it to be bubbling and starting to brown slightly but not to much!
Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving, as it will be hot – hot!! It will also dish out a bit nicer once slightly cooled!
The Ultimate Chicken Enchilada w/ White Sauce
Yields: 4 Serving (approx) Prep Time: 18 Minutes Cook Time: 33-35 Minutes
- 2 1/2 – 3 Cups Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 10 Large Flour Tortilla’s
- 1 1/2 Cups Monterey Jack Cheese – shredded
- 1 1/2 Cups White Cheddar Cheese – shredded
- 3 Tablespoon Butter **UNSALTED**
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Heavy Fat Sour Cream
- Optional —— Green Chilies, Green Onion and Cilantro – each to taste if you opt to use. Can be individual or all 3 is great together as well!
- Pre heat oven to 350*F. Lightly butter a 9X13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken and 3/4 cup of both cheeses you are using. and mix well. Add equal amounts of chicken/cheese mixture to tortillas and roll tightly placing each one into baking dish. Once completed all – set dish aside.
- In a large heavy bottom pan, melt butter add flour and whisk well until you have rue started. Cook for 2 minutes to eliminate the flour taste. Remove from heat for about 30 seconds and add chicken broth mix well and add back to heat. It will start tp thicken fairly quickly and will slightly bubble. Allow to thicken for about 2-4 minutes.
- Once thick, IMPORTANT.. remove from heat and set aside for 5-8 minutes to cool.
- Once cool, mix in sour cream until well combined and creamy looking. At this point if you are using chilies, green onion or cilantro add now and mix well.
- Add sauce to rolled tortillas be sure to pour evenly, sprinkle with remaining cheese and some more chilies if desired. Bake for 33-35 minutes until it is starting to turn slightly brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and set aside for a few minutes to cool.
- Serve and enjoy!