It is that time of the year, the leaves have fallen and fall is in the air – or snow where I live. On these cold fall days I love nothing more then getting my oven going and baking something that will that will bring the feeling of fall into my kitchen. Not to forget the sweet aroma that comes with it!
A recipe with pumpkin in it is a win in my books, I love when all the pumpkin lattes are out at the coffee shops, and the muffins and cookies! Yum! But sometimes getting out to enjoy all those delicious treats is just not as easy as it sounds. So sometimes we have to take matters into our own hands! Over the years I have played around with this recipe and finally have what I believe is a master creation!!
This is a great desert to make if you are having company and want a light desert, adding ice cream makes it spectacular! Just heat it up slightly and perfect for after a big meal. These can also be cut into pieces and just used a regular square or a dainty!
Most important thing to note when making this is you must use PUMPKIN PIE FILLING, not puree. This is very important ingredient as using puree will become soggy and not give you a solid layer in your square. And lets face it we don’t want to go through all the work and have a soggy square, get the pie filling!
The filling in this square becomes creamy and not mushy like you may think, it pairs very nicely with the crust.
This is such an easy and simple treat to make and takes about 45 minutes from start to finish so if you are in a hurry this is great. Or a maybe for one of you family get togethers or a work pot luck!
These can be kept covered in the fridge if not going to be eaten right away for up to a week. These can also be placed in a sealed container and into the freezer for up to 2 months, just place in microwave to reheat and enjoy.
Here is a quick step by step slideshow following the directions below! Give this a try you will not be disappointed if you are pumpkin lover!
Yields: 12 Squares Total Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 1/1 Cups White Flour
- 1/2 Brown Sugar – packed
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 Melted Butter – cooled down
- 1 Can of Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Pre heat oven to 375*F. Lightly butter 8×8 inch pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Be sure it is mixed well. Make a well, and add melted butter, using a wooden spoon mix until it appears combined but slightly crumbly.
- Remove about 3/4-1 cup of the crust and set aside.
- Add remainder to the baking pan,. and press firmly but gently to form crust. It will appear crumble still that is okay.
- In another mixing bowl, add pie filling, egg and vanilla, with an electric mixer, mix well of medium speed for about 45-60 seconds. it sure appear slightly frothy.
- Add filling on top of crust and spread evenly.
- Next, take the remainder of the crust you have set aside and sprinkle over the filling evenly, beside to get into the corners!
- Bake for 28-35 minutes, until a light golden colour appears on the top crust.
- Allow to cool down to where you can safely touch the sides of pan, the you can slice into your squares and enjoy with a big dollop of ice cream while it still warm!