About 13 years ago I purchased my trifle bowl on complete impulse. I had literally no idea what I was going to use it for, but I just had to have it! I soon found many uses for it, one of my favourites is this fruit truffle, I stumbled upon it by mere accident. I was trying to make something with fruit, whipped cream and cake for a hot summer day treat. I did not have enough whipped cream and had a package of vanilla pudding so I put all the pieces together and my husband fell in love with this trifle! Since then come summer we have this refreshing desert a few times a year.
It is so simple to whip together and you can switch up the berries that your family loves. I love to add kiwi fruit to mine, however I have not been able to find any kiwis that are worth purchasing lately so, I had to leave that out. Strawberries are a must for us as we all love them. Blueberries just make everything better! And the added pop of a blackberry is just so delightful I have to add those as well. Raspberries is another berry I normally add, but again I was unable to find any at the grocery store when I was there, definitely was sad about that!
You will need 4 simple ingredients to make this marvellous treat.
- Berries/fruit of your choice
- Large box of Instant Vanilla Pudding
- Dream Whip – 2 packs
- Cake – Sponge or Angel Food
First, you will need to start by making your pudding, follow the package instructions. Set aside. Next make your dream whip and set aside. Wash and thoroughly dry your berries and if using strawberries cut bigger ones into 4 slices smaller ones cut into 2-3 slices.
NOTE: I use Dream Whip for a couples of reasons. 1. It is quick and easy 2. I find it holds up a little better in this then a heavy cream whip cream would. If you would prefer to make your own whip cream by alls means go ahead – it is just my personal preference to use Dream Whip in this recipe.
For the cake portion, because baking a cake is not always something I am up for unless I will be decorating it. I will purchase either an angle food cake from the bakery section. Or you can find those small yellow sponge cakes, they work great. This time I decided to use angel food cake! Which I love!
You will start with this by breaking the cake apart, into larger chunks about 2 inch by 2 inch, if using an angel food cake. Don’t worry about how the pieces look as it will be covered over and will look fancy regardless. If using the small yellow sponge cake, just lay 3 of them on the bottom of the dish.
Next step is to take your fruit and line the edge of the dish with it, and make a small layer on top of the cake layer. Then take half of your vanilla pudding and make a layer, smooth it out and then add half the whip cream smooth out.
Make another layer of broken pieces of cake – fruit (leave a few for the top) – remainder of the pudding – remainder of the whip cream – then add the left over pieces of fruit you have saved to decorate the top. Voila – done!
This Summer Berry Trifle should chill in the fridge for 24 hours before it is being served so ensure everything is chilled and will stay in place when you dish it out. However, it could be used after a few hours in the fridge and will still be great!
It will last in the fridge up to 4 days, after that the cake will start to become soggy and will not taste that great, but once you have one bowl full you will be back in the fridge for another one – at least that is how it happens in my house and by the time I know it there is barely anything in the bowl!
This is a great treat to bring to a pot luck, BBQ, family get-to-gether, or just a great snack to have sitting in the fridge on those hot summer days!
Summer Berry Trifle
- 2-3 Cups Berries of your choice (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and kiwi go well together) – washed and dried, if using strawberries cut into slices
- 2 Packages of Dream Whip instant whip cream – make as per directions on box
- 1 Large box Instant Vanilla Pudding – make as per directions on box
- Angel Food cake torn into 2 inch pieces.
- Make a layer of cake on the bottom of your truffle bowl.
- Line the sides of the bowl with random pieces of fruit and berries.
- Take 1/2 of the vanilla pudding and make a layer on top of berries.
- Take 1/2 of the whip cream and make another layer, smooth out evenly.
- Repeat steps 1-4, saving some fruit/berries for on top decoration.
- Add left over berries on top, press into whip cream lightly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours prior to serving.