This Dill Pickle Potato Salad is sure to impress at your next family get together or BBQ! You may be thinking pickles and potatoes? But I promise it is a very tasty side dish!
Potato salads are perfect – you can make ahead and they will last in the fridge for 3-4 days. It can be made the evening before to really let the flavours combine nicely, or made and ate right away. It is simple and very tasty!
If you are a pickle lover you will absolutely love this! You can adjust the amount of pickle flavour you add, and you get the soft potato with crunch of the pickles. This potato salad is made the same way your typical potato salad would be – expect instead of adding green onion you add cut up pickles and dill!
I like to leave the skins on when I make potato salads, I find it gives a great texture to the salad – if you are not a potato skin lover like me you can always peel them. With some potato salads I try and slightly over cook the potatoes so they are very soft – however with this one I like to boil only until they are soft and keep their shape when tossed in the dressing.
I add a couple boiled eggs to this potato salad because you can not have a potato salad with out egg. If you do not want to add the egg though you can definitely still get a great salad with out.
I use dried dill as that is what I have on hand, if you have fresh that adds such a wonderful freshness to every bite – but dried works just as fine.
Pickle juice! That is what gives this potato salad its real kicker flavour! It does not have to get dumped down the drain when your pickle jar is empty, make this salad!!! You can use any type of pickle you like, personally I like the garlic dills the best for this recipe (and in general) but use what you favour.
Dill Pickle Potato Salad
- 4-5 Medium Potatoes
- 1/4 Cup Mayo
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Pickle Juice – you can add more or less, depending on your pickle flavour wants
- 3-4 Pickles cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Boiled Eggs – cooled
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Dill
- 1/4 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
What to do:
- Wash and cut potatoes into 1 inch pieces, boil in salted water until soft. Drain, rinse and cool.
- While potatoes are boiling, cut up boiled eggs and pickles into small pieces.
- Combine, sour cream, mayo, pickle juice and seasonings, mix well.
- Once potatoes have cooled, mix in dressing, eggs and pickles.
- Allow to chill in fridge for 1 hour before serving. Will last in the fridge for up to 3 days in a sealed container.